Saturday, May 7, 2011

convalesce

That's right, now that I'm free and clear from this semester and from in-classroom-classes for good, am I going to start blogging furiously away?
Well,
no.

Rather, I'm going to convalesce.

In case you're not familiar with this delightful little term, I first encountered it reading the works of genteel 19th century Brits and rather liked it ever since. Of course, they often used it in conjuncture with going to France or some something, but I? I'm going to convalesce in Michigan. But what of that? If you look up the formal definition of convalesce, you'll also notice that I'm not exactly gaining strength after an operation/long illness (and no, I won't even take a cheap shot at the semester in this way, since it was all-in-all an enjoyable and even stimulating experience). No, I'm just convalescing from life. Stimulating semesters are all very well, but every once in a while your brain needs to STOP taking in large portions of new information and just rest. Stew. Vegetate, even. Because if you stop and think about it, what do vegetables do but take in big chunks of some of the most powerful stuff on earth (sunlight, soil, and water) and then quietly photosynthesize them while they rest?

This week, this whole week, I'd like to photosynthesize, if that's God's will for me.

See you on the other side.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my dear, it is good to know that some of the world's population can convalesce while the rest of us are laboring through in-class essays and various drafts of poetry collections.
    Really and truly, I am encouraged by your evidence of the fact that there is "the other side". You soak up that sunshine and Michigan weather with all your might.
    All my love to you and yours (give your mom an extra hug from me) from already-ninety-degree-weather.

    ReplyDelete